How to celebrate Mother’s Day this year
Mother’s Day falls on Sunday 22nd March this year. But when did Mother’s Day first start and how different is it from other countries?
Mother’s Day, or Mothering Sunday in the UK is a day to show love, appreciation, gratitude and respect to all of the amazing mums across the country. We typically celebrate through acts of kindness, presents and flowers. We all celebrate Mother’s Day but very few of us know its actual origin. So, in this blog post we are going to tell you along with some top tips on how to spoil your mum on her special day.
The original meaning of Mothering Sunday has been somewhat lost but it is still a day to solely appreciate your mum. Mother’s Day celebrations date back as far as the ancient Greeks where they would celebrate Rhea, the Mother of Gods and Goddesses, every spring with festivals of worship. The Romans also celebrated a Mother Goddess, Cybele, every March as far back as 250BC.
For most Brits, Mother’s Day is more of a commercial celebration rather than spiritual. It was first celebrated in the 17th Century with close links to the Laetare Sunday festival in the Christian calendar. The tradition mainly involved visiting your ‘Mother’ church in your childhood home and eating simnel cake. The festival did not have a clear link to human mothers; however, the festival did see a revival in 1913 thanks to Constance Smith who was inspired by the success of America’s first Mother’s Day. Coupled with The First World War, when hundreds of thousands of Mothers were left without their son meant that all Brits now celebrated Mother’s Day.
How to celebrate Mother’s Day this year
Breakfast in Bed
In our eyes, Mother’s Day should always start by you offering Mum breakfast in bed. Make her favourite food such as pancakes with bacon and maple syrup or opt for a savoury option: avocado and poached egg on toast and serve with a side of fresh orange juice or if she is in the mood to celebrate, a cheeky Mimosa.
Why not even leave a sweet note on the food tray to tell your Mum that you love and appreciate her?
Set aside all other plans and treat your Mum as queen for the day. Turn the day into in an amazing adventure from a fun family filled activity at her favourite park, lake or museum and then spend the day indulging in a Sunday Lunch with all of the generations celebrating together.
Give Mum the Day off
For some Mums, this could quite possibly be the best gift of all. Do the washing, hoovering, cleaning cooking and encourage everyone to pitch in to allow your Mum to sit back, relax with that all deserved glass of prosecco.
Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
Most Mums will want a gift they will remember, cherish and enjoy. Whatever you choose to give your Mum, it does not have to be expensive but if you put thought into it – she will love it.
Here are some fun ideas to help get your creative juices flowing:
– Scarf with her initials or name monogrammed
– A photo album with all of your favourite photos. Include a matching pen so she can make up her own special notes
– Give her a locket with a photo; she will cherish this forever
– Subscribe to her favourite magazine or a yearly Netflix subscription
– A cruise or a weekend getaway! If you have the financial means, your Mum would definitely enjoy escaping reality for a few days
– Make a slide show or a video of all your favourite memories. Get together with your siblings and create a show that will make her laugh, cry and hug you. Stay positive so she will enjoy her wonderful celebration
– Help her explore her passion project: If your Mum has always had a passion for Fresh cuisine or loves to paint, find a local class or workshop where she can explore a new passion or rekindle an old one
Mother’s Day at Ardencote
If you have decided to celebrate your fantastic Mother at Ardencote this year, we have a number of different ways to show her that you love her:
We are offering a delicious three-course Sunday Lunch and Live Entertainment in our beautiful Palms Conservatory.
A little surprise for all Mums – a free Ardencote gift!
£24.95 per adult
£12.95 per child (4-12)
Please note: Full payment is required upon booking and it is non-refundable
Alternatively, you may want to opt for an extra special treat and book your Mum in for one of our…
Sunday Sanctuary Spa Day with:
• Use of the Destination Spa and Leisure Facilities from 10am to 6pm
• Complimentary Slippers and hire of Robe, Towel and Locker
• Complimentary Refreshments in our Spa Relaxation Lounge
• Light Lunch
• 10% Discount on pre-booked Spa Treatments*
£55.00 per person