About Us /
The Ardencote Manor Hotel was originally built in 1863, as the dowry house for Mary the daughter of Thomas Phillips, a wool manufacturer from Manchester. During the late Victorian era, the Phillips family purchased several small-holdings and cottages, adding extensive servants' quarters and stables to the existing estate. At its peak the family employed 15 servants and livery staff, 25 farm labourers and 6 gardeners. All staff lived within the Ardencote and its estate.
After the 1st World War the Phillips family sold the Ardencote to Mr. James Booth. Under Mr. Booth's ownership The Ardencote flourished; at this time the village of Claverdon was barely 50 houses and the entire community of the hamlets of Pinley and Lye Green would have all been employed by the estate. James Booth died in 1937 and his family decided to sell the property. An auction was held at the Grand Hotel, Birmingham and in total the Ardencote estate comprised 503 acres, 2 farms, 11 cottages and building land adjoining Claverdon Railway Station.
The Ardencote and the adjoining land of 103 acres was bought by Mr. Tom Brown, an Irish financier who farmed the land until his death in 1980. The estate was then purchased by a consortium headed by a Major Cotteril, with the intention of updating the Ardencote to a Country Club based around squash and Leisure facilities. You can still the original squash courts today, still very much at the heart of the Leisure and Country Club. Unfortunately the Major was unable to raise the finance to complete his vision, and after a somewhat checkered period and several changes of ownership the Ardencote was purchased by Mr. David Walker in 1991. Mr. Walker subsequently built the 3 acre trout lake and adjoining Fisherman's Lodge and set about turning the Ardencote into a boutique Hotel. Unfortunately Mr. Walker soon ran out of funds and the Hotel was bought in 1996 by Mr. Huckerby, a local entrepreneur, who saw unlocked potential in what had been previously seen as something of a 'white elephant'.
Fast forward 15 years, the Ardencote is still owned and managed by Mr. Huckerby- a truly independent, family-run Hotel, thriving against all the odds in an environment increasingly dominated by homogenous Hotel chains. Mr. Huckerby has added financial stability and entrepreneurial nous to the Hotel which now proudly boasts 110 four star bedrooms, 17 Conference and Banqueting Suites and an award winning, rosetted Restaurant. The Leisure facilities have been recently updated to include indoor and outdoor swimming pools, squash courts, floodlit tennis courts, cardio-vascular and free weights gyms and a dance studio. For a touch of luxury the outdoor 'Hot-tub' is difficult to beat. The challenging 9 hole golf course offers a truly delightful stroll in the unrivalled Warwickshire countryside as well as a challenge to every level of golfer. The Ardencote Spa offers the most up to date treatments available and is regularly voted among the top 50 Spas in the UK.
As the Ardencote prepares to enter its 150th year Mr. Huckerby has no intention of resting on his laurels and is very much looking forward to continuing his investment within the Ardencote in order to achieve his vision of creating a genuinely desirable Destination Resort Hotel.